Thursday, August 22, 2019

From Nothing to Something

Ever wonder how an artist designs jewelry? I sure do. Do they draw it all out? Do they count every bead or coil of wire to be sure they have all they need for the project? When I am itching to wrap a stone, I follow my own approach but wonder how other artists approach their work.

I can tell you that I don't look for clasps in my stash until I'm done with the piece. If I don't have the right clasp then I will either make one or buy one when I know what the finished piece demands. Besides, often times I don't know if my wire wrapping will swallow up a stone or get shaped into earrings or a bracelet.

I've just realized that this weave is too stiff and bulky for earrings, and I hear the rocks calling! At this stage I'm wondering if I want such a sharp contrast between the stone and the woven wires... Is this stone "the one"?Too many factors can distract me from the excitement of wire wrapping, and the anticipation of what I will produce! Ah, distractions, the biggest challenge to my attention span, easily influence my design and the artist within is good at resisting them. I wish I did as well in my day-to-day activities! But I digress...My design process is difficult to describe. The only plan I have, at the outset, is to gather wire, beads, and a rock that enhance each other-- in some odd way-- and then I start wrapping. I tend to let the piece create itself. I just tell myself it is an experiment and I'm not to worry about the end result. I can make it work, in the end!Though the backside tips are wrapped tightly, they will not hold long term without a strong foundation to hold them in place. What to do?














This additional weave will do the trick! Stay tuned...


The good news is that I always find a way to recover when the piece is not balanced or not strong enough to hold its shape and its cloak of wire. If I'm not struggling a bit with the ensuing design issues that present themselves then the piece just isn't worth making. This piece? I've got a plan to tie it all together securely and beautifully!


But I'm left wondering... How does the artist in you approach your creative process?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?